Banking & Financial Services: Bankruptcy, Workouts, & Financial Restructuring
McDowell Rice is renowned for its expertise representing lenders and other secured creditors in complex and contested Chapter 11 bankruptcy cases. The firm also represents corporate debtors in Chapter 11, thereby enhancing its strategic skills in the representation of creditors. We work with lenders and other secured creditors to formulate and implement strategies to enforce creditor rights and remedies in both bankruptcy court and state court. McDowell Rice is the only mid-sized KC area firm which regularly participates in the largest and most complex reorganization cases. Two of our lawyers, R. Pete Smith and Jonathan Margolies, are recognized in the exclusive and limited listing in The Best Lawyers in America (peer-reviewed, top 5%) for bankruptcy practice. We retain a vast level of experience in the bankruptcy arena from its decades of concentrated practice in bankruptcy law.
Recent Experience and Results:
- Current representation of finance creditor with $500,000,000 contractual claim against assets in billion dollar hotel reorganization, resulting in full recovery.
- Current representation of global engineering firm in multi-billion dollar utility bankruptcy in California.
- Representation of a consortium of lenders on $400,000,000 credit facility in the largest agri-business Chapter 11 case in the Kansas City region, resulting in recovery of all principal, interest, and legal fees.
- Representation of lender on $250,000,000 credit facility in billion dollar construction materials company bankruptcy.
- Representation of materials supplier in bankruptcy of building materials retailer.
- Representation of Missouri-based banks in a wide array of corporate liquidations and consumer bankruptcies.